Anytime I wear flares, I get the question “how tall are you?”. I am 5’4 (barely). Like many of you, I thought for years only tall, long legged women could pull off a flare. Wrong! It may be easier for those blessed with long legs to find flares that work, but it shouldn’t derail you from wearing this style of denim! Today’s post is for anyone who loves a flare and wants to find a great pair! For those of us who are vertically challenged, I’ll share how wear flare jeans, even when you are short.
How To Wear Flare Jeans
Like I said no matter if you are tall or short, you can wear a flare! The key is finding the right pair or a great seamstress that does alterations;)
- If you are shorter (under 5’6-5’7) the best shoe to wear with a flare is a PLATFORM. The shorter you are, the higher the heel should be. This will elongate your legs and prevent the flare jean from making you look shorter than you are.
- If you do want to wear flats with a flare, go for a CROPPED FLARE!
- Also, if you are short or if you are built bigger on the bottom make sure your flares are fitted through the thigh and knee and then bell out. If the leg of the denim is wide all the way down, you will appear bigger.
- Another illusion for longer legs when wearing flare jeans, tuck in your shirt! This is such a easy way to make everything appear long(er)!
- Darker denim without fading has a slimming effect.
- Avoid baggy denim. They will swallow your legs and tend to be less flattering. That totally works if you are super tall and lean or in other styles of denim aka MOM JEANS
- Flare jeans tend to be cut very long, don’t be afraid to take them in for alterations. I take everything to Nordstrom and have it altered, even if I didn’t buy it there, they still alter (with a small fee).
- If you do take them in to be hemmed, don’t forget to bring the shoes you plan to wear with your jeans the most. That way you get the right length and less guess work for you and the seamstress. Each pair of my flare jeans are slightly different lengths based on what shoes I want to wear with them.
Favorite Flare Jeans
- These FLARES are my #1. Wearing a 25 in today’s post. The denim is so soft. ps, I didn’t have to alter these. Perfect length for a 3.5-4 inch platform.
- I need these! Same flares, but in a LIGHTER WASH
- Obsessed with these BUTTON FRONT FLARES
- You know I wear these DL1961 CROPPED FLARES, a lot…
- Loving these BLACK CROPPED FLARES. Order one size up.
- These Joe’s RIPPED FLARES are super fun!
- I am all about these WHITE FLARES! Holy, they are so good!
- Under $100, these WIDE LEGS are good!
- Ordering these AGOLDE FLARES, asap