Sponsored by Backcountry & ShopStyle
As I mentioned last month in my SAN DIEGO TRAILS with Backcountry post, I’ve committed in 2019 to explore our own city! This month we thought it would be fun to beach camp less than 10 minutes from home at San Elijo Campground. This campsite fills up quickly, especially during spring and summer so we grabbed a spot before all the spring breakers arrive! We set up our new 6 person TENT and KELTY SLEEPING BAGS to enjoy a family night at the beach.
Did you know you can take 15% off your first purchase at BACKCOUNTRY with our exclusive code: SALTY15?! You can grab all your spring/summer camping gear and save!
Backcountry is also running their annual Winter Clearance Sale which you can check out here where tons of top brands are currently on sale!
The weather right now here in Encinitas is just cool enough for sweaters but not cold enough to wear our favorite PATAGONIA’S. I did bring my PATAGONIA RAVEN ROCKS HOODED JACKET just incase I got too cold in the night. Honestly, I love how easy this jacket is to keep on hand for an unexpected change in spring weather. I ended up wearing my ALO SWEATER. Wearing a XS. It’s oversized and buttery soft! Poppy has this in teal as shown in our ACTIVEWEAR with BACKCOUNTRY post.
WHAT WE TOOK BEACH CAMPING
- Jeff said setting up our THERM-A-REST TENT was simple! It literally took him 10 minutes, no joke! He said it’s the color coded frame that made set up a breeze. We loved this tent, such a great purchase! Goldie loved the screen printed footprints at the entrance of the tent showing where to keep your shoes.
- Our KELTY SLEEPING BAGS. Just warm enough but not too warm you can’t sleep. They roll up and store easily in each carrying case.
- You know we love our YETI COOLER! We first shared this in our post: WHAT WE TAKE TO THE BEACH.
- FLASHLIGHTS. Mainly so Goldie and Ozzy could tell scary stories to each other in the tent. Haha!
- Avery and Poppy got new SWIMSUITS recently, both by LSPACE. We love LSpace suits and have worn them for years. Avery in this ONE PIECE and Poppy in this TOP and BOTTOMS. Both wearing XS.
- Cozy BACKCOUNTRY PULLOVERS and PATAGONIA FLEECE PULLOVER
- These HOODED BEACH TOWELS are my absolute favorite for little kids at the beach! All of my girls have used them and they are still good as new. We swear by this brand, extremely well made!
- Same as our hooded towels and our BEACH TOWELS! Again, we swear by PENDLETON TOWELS! Take advantage of our 15% off using code: SALTY15 and stock up!
- Jeff loves his new ZIP UP HOODIE!
- Ozzy is wearing the cutest VANS HOODIE. I am so in love with the photos of she and Jeff wearing their sweatshirts. Oz is wearing a boys 2T.
WHAT WE ATE BEACH CAMPING
Because we were there less than 18 hours we didn’t need much. We brought snacks like popcorn and crackers. Licorice and fruit snacks. Jeff wanted to make steak and carrots for dinner and we had apples and grapes on hand for kids who constantly say they are hungry…Goldie.:)
I’m a big believer in keeping things simple when you are away from home and utilizing the amenities around you. There is a gas station across the street from the campsite and also pizza & donuts from my GUIDE TO SAN DIEGO post also across the street. Make it easy on yourself and walk to get pizza by the slice for dinner and donuts for your morning beach walk. Less to clean up and less to worry about bringing with you.
WHAT TO DO BEACH CAMPING
I’m sure it depends on which beach you camp at. The girls love to lay out, find shells, apparently Goldie likes to meditate on rocks;), Jeff will surf and if the water was warmer, the girls would join him. Basically whatever we do on a normal beach day, we can do beach camping which makes the best type of camping in my opinion!
It was so fun to escape sports and work for just a few short hours to spend time as a family and enjoy our city!