So what exactly is HIIT?
HIIT stands for high-intensity interval training. “HIIT,” is a type of interval training in which short periods of high-intensity exercise alternate with less-intense recovery periods. It is one of the most popular and most effective training methods for boosting your running performance and burning as many calories as possible in a short time. The best part, it can be done on a treadmill and also outdoors. Keep reading and I’ll tell you how I prefer to do my HIIT.
I used to be able to call myself a runner. I ran track when I was younger and then began running again for sport a couple years before Goldie was born. Once I was able to run 3 miles each day, I decided I wanted to run a full marathon. So, that’s what I did. I trained for 3 month’s and ran 26.2 miles (yes, my hair was down for all the people who question my fitness posts wearing my hair down;) It was an awesome experience!
Most of my girlfriends are runners and have far surpassed my one (and only) full marathon. For about 3-4 years we ran several Ragnar Races together (team of 12 running a relay race for 24 hours straight). It was such a blast to be with my favorite people, doing something we all enjoyed. Really, those are some of my best memories with my friends! I wonder if I can find the videos we made on a few of races…I’ll look into it.
How To HIIT:
Okay, back to HIIT. Even though I don’t run for distance anymore, I still see the value in getting cardio in. I often accomplish my daily cardio at OTF, which also incorporates HIIT into the workouts. There are several ways you can do your own HIIT at the gym or outside.
HIIT On A Treadmill
I prefer this method over outdoors. Why? Because I can see my speed, adjust my incline and check the time easier. I do my treadmill HIIT two ways depending on how much time I have or how I am feeling that day. One way: I start with a 5 minute warm up at a comfortable pace, but running. Then I begin HIIT. 20 second ALL OUT speed, 10 second rest. If you can, don’t turn down your treadmill for the rest. Instead, jump to the sides of the treadmill like you would if you need to tie your shoe real quick or get off like you would in an emergency. haha, I might need to film a video explaining before someone gets hurt. Repeat the 20 second sprints with a 10 second rest for 20-30 minutes. It goes by so fast! Second way I HIIT on a treadmill: same method, but instead I run 3 minutes hard followed by a 1 minute walk. Repeat for 30 minutes.
You will need a watch or timer for this. You can do the same I outlined above outside. I personally have a hard time sprinting all out when I am running outside. I prefer to do longer intervals. For example: 5 minute run ( I push myself, but I am not sprinting) with a 30 second walk break. Repeat and continue for 30-40 minutes.
WHAT TO WEAR TO WORKOUT:
- These ADIDAS have been super popular and they just added a few new colors! If you are in between sizes, go down in size. Loving the new Linen/Crystal White combo!
- You’ve seen me wear these NIKE’S in my FITNESS FOR TEENS post
- I have worn these BLACK LEGGINGS for years. High waisted, only $54 and fit great!
- I don’t always wear workout tops to workout. If it’s cold, I’ll grab a regular SWEATSHIRT to stay warm.
- I love these COLOR BLOCK LEGGINGS
- This FURRY JACKET would be great in or out of the gym!
- If you have seen any of my quick workout videos on my Instagram @lisa_allen, I am usually wearing this BRA/CROP
- I think I should order these ADIDAS SWEATS before the sale ends!
- I wear two different tanks tops all the time: THIS and THIS
- A great BASIC TANK
- These WHITE and PEACH ADIDAS are less expensive than I guessed
- I love my PURE BOOST SNEAKERS
- I love the PURE BOOST in ALL WHITE
- Oh my! Check out these CHEETAH NIKES
- I wear my NIKE FLYKNIT’S all the time!
- Such a good FLORAL NIKE JACKET
- One of my favorite SPORT BRAS for low-impact
- Favorite SPORT BRA for high impact