Keeping a clean home right now is more important than ever. I went from vacuuming my entire house twice a day to about 5 times a day with the kids home 24/7. Because I am very particular about my home being clean (coronavirus or not) I wanted to share some home sanitation tips I’ve learned along the way! I’ve spent our quarantine as a family learning new tips and habits when it comes to bringing groceries in our home and cleaning the produce. There are so many techniques I’ve learned that I need to share.
Home Sanitation Tips
Seems simple, yet it’s often overlooked in comparison to hand sanitizer. Washing your hands with soap and water for 20-30 seconds is more effective. My family and I have made it a goal to wash our hands before & after every new activity as well as moisturizing so we don’t dry our skin out.
High Touch Surfaces
Cleaning our high-touch surfaces is SO important. We may not always think about sanitizing surfaces like doorknobs, light switches and remotes. But if our cell phone surfaces carry more than 20,000 bacterias, then I can’t imagine how much these other surfaces are carrying. Don’t forget areas like cabinet handles, microwave and oven handles, buttons and handrails.
Disinfectants can be hard to find during these times. If you’re out of Clorox wipes, Lysol or disinfectant spray, make your own!
1 quart water
4 teaspoons bleach
Add to a spray bottle and spray on surfaces and leave it to do its magic for 5 minutes. Make sure to use hot water and a rag to wipe it down afterwards.
Wash Your Produce
This is so important and something I don’t think about often. I always rinse my produce before cooking & eating, but giving your produce a good spray after you purchase them is a great habit to create. Here’s the mix I use:
4 Cups Water
1 Cup Distilled White Vinegar
1 TBSP Lemon Juice
I spray this mixture on my produce, let it sit for 5 minutes, then rinse it thoroughly with hot water! It’s another simple step to add to your grocery routine and a great precaution to take!
Don’t Forget About Your Car:
Sanitizing your car and its surfaces is an extremely important step to remember! I’ve been using my car for necessary trips to grocery stores, restaurants and drives. I keep a pack of sanitizing wipes in my car and make sure I constantly wipe down all the high touch surfaces like handles, seatbelts, buttons and the wheel. I also keep a box of cloves and masks in my car.
Giving Your Home a Good Clean:
Every day I make sure to wipe down surfaces like countertops and tables! But, I make sure to give a good, deep clean to my entire home at least once a week. It’s been nice to have my girls home 24/7 to recruit them into the cleaning process. This is a great activity to give to the family!
When you give your home a deep cleaning, here are some tips I swear by:
- Move rugs and furniture to clean underneath. Even though some furniture never moves, It’s important to clean under those surfaces for dirt and germs that have been swept under.
- Open your windows! I love opening my windows when I clean to help circulate the air in my home and let the harsh chemicals in cleaning products so their job then makes their way out.
- When I mop, I make sure to change out the water in the bucket after each time it touches the floor. This way, you’re not just slathering germs across the ground.
- Sanitize your electronics and utilities! I love giving my oven, dishwasher, washer, dryer and microwave a good wipe down daily.
- I do at least 2-3 loads of laundry filled with towels, blankets, sheets, stuffed animals and other frequently used materials every single day.
- Shake your rugs out outside! This is a great time to rearrange some furniture and freshen up your home!
- Get your kids involved to help!!