If you follow my insta stories, you know my girls bicker…a lot. Sometimes it’s humorous and other (most) times I want to gouge my eyes out. I’ve found the older two fight less when they are in the kitchen helping me cook. I think it’s a combination of completing separate tasks, mixed with open conversation between all of us.
I love to cook, like LOVE to cook. Being in the kitchen with the kids helping me is one of those things I hope the girls will remember when they are moms. I spent my childhood watching my mom make dinner each night, asking lots of question, not realizing how much of the info I would retain. I’m glad I have those experiences to pass on to my girls.
Now here’s the difference between my childhood and now…healthy meals! It’s so important that I teach my children how to prepare food that tastes incredible, but it also good for their bodies. A friend told me they had found some great recipes via Prescribe Nutrition. They offer a FREE 20 day program including recipes, workouts, and a nutritionist available to help answer your questions. I signed up for the recipes and so far we’re loving them them!
This week we made White Chicken Chili and Kale Caesar Salad. I had never added coconut milk to a chicken chili before, until this recipe..it’s good! So good! We will for sure add this soup to our regular rotation! Guess what? There is no oil in the caesar dressing except the natural oil from the avocado we emulsified into the dressing using our BlendTec.
WHITE CHICKEN CHILI
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or ghee
- 1 large white or yellow onion, peel removed and chopped
- 1 poblano, pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeno, pepper, seeded and chopped*
- 1 Anaheim pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1.5 teaspoons ground chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 4 cups organic chicken broth
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans white beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 lbs organic rotisserie chicken, skin removed and meat shredded
- Juice and zest of 1 lime, + extra lime wedges for garnish
- 1⁄2 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro leaves + extra for garnish
- Heat the oil in a large heavy bottom pan over medium heat until hot. Add the onions, peppers, cumin, coriander, chili powder, paprika and 1⁄2 teaspoon of the salt. Cook until the vegetables have softened, about 5-6 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for another minute.
- Pour in the chicken stock. Add 1 can of the beans and, using a potato masher (or a handheld blender), mash the beans in the pot, creating a thicker texture.
- Stir in the remaining beans, shredded chicken, lime juice and zest and bring to a boil. If you prefer a chili with more broth, add 1 – 2 cups of water. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in the coconut milk and keep on a low simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately with additional lime wedges and cilantro.
KALE CAESAR SALAD
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted and cut into large chunks
- 5 cloves garlic
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons raw apple cider vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 head lacinato (dino) kale, center rib removed and thinly sliced
- 1 large head of romaine, chopped
- Combine all of the ingredients, except for the kale and romaine, in a high speed blender or food processor and blend until completely smooth. Goldie was scared of the noise…haha
- In a large bowl add the kale leaves, then pour 1⁄4 cup of the dressing over kale and massage it in with your hands to help break the leaves. Tip: if you don’t want to get your hands messy and you don’t have gloves you can use a quart size Ziploc. Then add the romaine and extra dressing as needed and toss again to coat.
Give these recipes a try and let me know what you think. For more info and extra recipes check out Prescribe Nutrition!
4 thoughts on “White Chicken Chili & Kale Caesar Salad”
Love your kitchen! Would you mind sharing where you got your cabinet pulls from?